Banner Finance courses
In order to receive initial access to Banner Finance, you will need to complete at least two course requirements.
In Talent@VCU, the training is named Banner Basic Navigation and System/Data Security. You may self-enroll in this course. You must complete the quiz after completing the tutorials. If you have any questions or problems concerning access to this course, please contact Learning and Development at email@example.com, or call (804) 828-0179.
Steps for Banner Finance access
- Complete the required Banner Basics course (as outlined above).
- Your supervisor/fiscal administrators will need to request a Banner Finance account with VCU IT. Supervisors/Fiscal Administrators should be able to navigate through the Cherwell support catalog via itsupport.vcu.edu to make the request. Submit the request via following these options in Cherwell: Accounts & Access → University Administrative Resources → Banner Finance → select Request/Modify Account.
The employee should have already signed a confidentiality and compliance statement, which is part of the VCU employment orientation. In compliance with VCU's password standard, your Banner password and access are for your use only and cannot be shared with others. See the Technology Services security website for details.
Once the account request reaches the Banner Finance security team, you will be contacted with instructions to enroll in a second required course. In Canvas, the course is named Mandatory Fiscal Training: Fiscal Responsibilities and Internal Controls. Once the course is successfully completed, basic Banner Finance access will be granted.
For more topics, reference materials and desktop manuals, go to Banner Finance job aids.
Additional security levels in Banner have different training requirements. Access to the the required Canvas courses will be given at the time of the account request based on the Cherwell Service Desk ticket options. These are not self-enrollment courses.
- Course Name: TRAIN 202 - Banner FOAPAL-Forms-Transactions
Description: Overviews budget entries, journal vouchers, cash receipt and encumbrance removals. Required for transaction access.
- Course Name: TRAIN 204 - Banner Fixed Assets
Description: Overviews the responsibilities and resources for fixed asset custodians. Required for new fixed asset custodians.
- Course name: TRAIN 205 - SAS Enterprise Guide Training for Banner Finance ODS
Description: Overviews VCU data warehouse for ad-hoc reporting. Required for Banner Finance access to data warehouse.